Skip to main content

Department Facilities

Carnegie Building

The main offices for the Mathematics Department and the Mathematics Education programs are housed in the Carnegie Building (campus map). Its striking feature is the central, skylighted atrium that runs up from the second floor. It contains a giant reading room with 24 large, well-lit hardwood tables complementing the ornate late-Victorian decor of the hallways, ceilings and stairways.

Construction of Carnegie Library began in the spring of 1905 after Andrew Carnegie announced he would donate $150,000 for the erection of a University Library. There was a stipulation that Syracuse University raise another $150,000 as an endowment for up-keep of the library. The building was completed in 2 years and the library opened in September 1907. The architects were Professors Frederick W. Revels and Earl Hallenbeck. The building style is Renaissance. Building materials consisted of a granite base with a grey brick and terra cotta facade. The main Syracuse University Library was housed in Carnegie until 1973.